Saturday, January 5, 2013

Now that no one cares...

Thanks to Maria for encouraging me to join this meme...Here's her take on this topic:   MommyMelee
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?

 I started a twitter account and a blog. There are several blogs I've read for years, and many of them feature their twitter feed. For years, I've been reading these blogs, and the comments, and the bits of twitter that were shared on the blog, and I've wished I was part of the conversation, to steal twitter's tagline. This year, something finally clicked, and I realized that the only way to be a part of it was to join it--it's not like people could see me standing on the edge of the group and invite me in, after all.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn't make any resolutions last year. I did make a couple for the coming year. I would like to walk one thousand miles over the course of the year. I would like to be more active as a commenter on the blogs I read, and I would like to blog at least once a week. Some of these things are more likely than others.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Not any one really close--a former friend that I don't really hang out with anymore and his wife had a daughter. I didn't get a chance to meet the kid til December, and she was born in March. She didn't like me any more than her mother does. 
4. Did anyone close to you die?

Not any humans. My five year old dog unexpectedly became very ill and had to be put to sleep. I was devastated, and actually had panic attacks for a few months afterward--I would suddenly be reliving the moment he went into a seizure, or the moment his heart stopped against my hand, and would burst into hysterical sobs. I still feel like a huge chunk is missing from my life, and I miss him every day. I feel kind of bad for Amber--I like her a lot, and I'm kind to her and fuss over her and play with her, but I always feel like she can't step into Jack's pawprints, and that a huge part of my heart remains dark with his missing presence.
5. What countries did you visit?
My feet did not leave U.S. soil this year. My feet didn't even leave Washington soil this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?

Willpower. I'm tired of the way I always find a reason that it's ok to slack off on something I need to work at. I need to eat better, because I don't feel healthy now, and I need to exercise, for the same reason.
Energy to do more with my kids before they are gone--my oldest turns 18 in a couple of weeks, and in a few months will be at Basic Training, and my daughter is 12, and already getting a little eye-roll happy around me.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I am really bad at matching up dates with events. I have a tendency to remember that something momentous/sad/terrifying/joyous happened "oh, Fall-ish, 2012, or maybe 2011....Actually, it might have been in the Spring..."  Right this minute, December 14 is very much on my mind, but although I know I'll always remember and always grieve for the deaths in Connecticut, knowing how my mind works, I think the date will fade, and I'll remember it as "Sometime around Christmas."

I think I'll remember 12/21/2012, for all the fuss and snark and general silliness surrounding that date.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

See, if I could skip any question, it would be this one. I feel like this was just an off year for me--like I was just letting time pass this year. I didn't really accomplish anything--I got a job I wanted at work, but it was a lateral move in terms of pay and status, so it doesn't really feel like an achievement.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I really didn't have any, although that's more a measure of how little I challenged myself last year than anything else.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing major- a few sinus infections, a few migraines.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

It's silly, but our Wii. Now I can stream Netflix, which makes me very happy.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Honestly? My own. My teenaged son decided that my rules were bullshit and wanted to move in with his father. I was extremely upset by this, but I maintained a calm demeanor, I didn't let him goad me into a dramatic reaction, and I didn't point out to him that he would end up in the same position with his father. I let him move. I hear his father's rules are bullshit as well. 
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

On a personal level, I didn't have to deal with any truly bad behavior. Everything about last year's politics left me depressed.
14. Where did most of your money go?

Rent and groceries, as always.  There were also a couple of depressingly large dental bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Adopting Amber and Snow, rescue dog and cat, respectively. I would add a pet to the family every year if my husband would let me. (He won't.)
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?

"Call Me Maybe" and "Somebody That I Used to Know" seemed to be playing every time I turned on the radio. There really wasn't a song that really jumped out at me this year to become a new favorite.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? About the same--maybe slightly sadder. I sometimes feel a little blue about how far away youth seems every year, and how sometimes it feels like my horizons narrow a bit more each year.

b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, I'm afraid. Hopefully the thousand mile walk plan will help with that.

c) richer or poorer? Ummm...about the same. Maybe slightly richer, since we got a lot more disciplined about savings.  Neither of us had a raise in pay or hours, but we put away a lot more last year than in previous years, so we are in a better position.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
We bought baseball gear and tennis gear this summer. I wish we'd played outside a bit more.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

I wish we had spent fewer weekends doing tv marathons. We had a lot of fun, hanging out on the couch and snacking while we re-watched Buffy and the West Wing, and Firefly, but I think it would have been nice to be a bit more active.
20. How did you spend Christmas?

We opened presents with the kids on Christmas Eve, then had dinner with my sister in law. After dinner, the kids went to their dad's house, and Husband and I opened our presents and watched "A Christmas Story." Christmas day, we lounged around watching the Die Hard movies and the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol."
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I continue to be in love with Husband...does that count?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Game of Thrones, with The Walking Dead close behind.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Nope. I don't really have any enemies. I try to get along with everybody.
24. What was the best book you read?

Ooh, that's another one for the "wish I'd done more of" question above. I hardly did any reading this year of new material. I re-read the Jeeves and Wooster books, which is always a worthwhile use of one's time.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Didn't have one. My attachment to Pink has gotten deeper, however.

26. What did you want and get?

I'm drawing a blank for this question and number 27. I really didn't want anything this year. I have tons of books, enough clothes and shoes, a huge video library, and a Kindle Fire for material goods. For non-material goods, everyone I love is healthy and happy, the cats are fat and sassy, and the golden dog constantly has her head on my knee. My husband loves me, and I him, and we can't get enough of spending time together.
27. What did you want and not get?

Oh, I thought of an answer for this one. I really want one more child before my eggs give up the ghost. My husband does not. It's not a huge dramatic thing--I know another child doesn't really make sense for us, so I tacitly agree with him. But my bio clock is making like Marisa Tomei on an emotional level.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?

The only current release I saw this year was "The Hunger Games," so it wins by default. I haven't had a chance yet to see "Les Miserables," but I'm betting it will win.
My favorite show was "Wicked."
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 37. We went out for lunch at my favorite restaurant, where I ordered my favorite dessert. Then we met up with about 15 friends at a local pizza joint that does karaoke, and closed the place down.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I don't know how to answer this...it's a weird question. Pass.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?

Hahahahahaha...ummm..."It was on sale."
32. What kept you sane?
White wine, and lots of it.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I really didn't get into any pop culture this year.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Women's issues, for sure. The fact that we still have very primitive attitudes toward women in this world was a source of constant frustration to me. 
35. Who did you miss?
After attending my class reunion, I realized I'd really been missing my three high school besties. It was so fun to see them again, we were pretty much attached at the hip through the whole reunion, and it was really sad to say goodbye. We'll try to see each other again, but we all have jobs and families and we live hundreds of miles apart, so realistically, it could well be Reunion 30 before we meet again. We've got Facebook, though, so it's not too bad.
36. Who was the best new person you met?

The partner of one of my dearest friends. They've since broken up, unfortunately, but J has stayed in our circle. He's a super sweet guy, Einstein level smart, and very generous with the dinner parties.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Really, this year felt like a placeholder for me. I felt like I was standing still while the world moved around me. I didn't really advance in life from where I was last year. Maybe that's my lesson--life is short, and perhaps I shouldn't be wasting any of it.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Bon Jovi, "Who says, you can't go home?" I went home for a class reunion, and it was awesome. Then I came home to my family, and it was even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment