Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Blowin' in The Wind

So, it's been a nice, quiet couple of weeks, not much going on around here. Oh, except for the way I totally quit my job with nothing to fall back on. That happened.

I shouldn't say "nothing." I'm married, and my husband has a job, we have savings, we live fairly simply and could actually get by on those savings for a couple of months if we had to. We're not in crisis mode, at least not yet. Still, I don't think anyone would argue against the idea of lining something up before you tell your boss, "No, I can't wait around for you guys to decide if it's my word or his. I can't come in every day wondering if this is the day I get sent home at noon with a box of my stuff. This is my notice. Friday will be my last day."

Yeah. It was fun. The situation was weird, complicated in the way work stuff can be when you have a small office. The word betrayal was used several times by me, and the line "Don't forget to take the knife from between my shoulder blades before you go--you may need it again someday," may also have been delivered, also by me. It was unpleasant that last day.

But it's over, and I'm on the next phase of my life. I re-signed with a temp agency I worked with previously, and they've got an interview lined up for me next week. I found a couple of free-lance writing assignments to take on. I know, if you read this blog, you are thinking right now "Really? Someone is PAYING her to write?" It's true. I actually write pretty well when I have an assigned topic and rigid rules to follow. Husband and I decided to take advantage of the new situation. We are going to cut expenses, and strive for part-time work for me. The idea is for me to start taking some classes spring quarter, and to be more present for Erica. She's turning thirteen in a few weeks, an age at which girls become vulnerable to losing their damn minds, and I'd like to be around more, spend more time with her. When she was informed that Mom would be spending more time at home, she said "Oh, I'm just gonna LOOOOOVE that" with this dry, British sitcom delivery that was rather amusing. You should have seen her, though, yesterday afternoon when she spotted me coming up the sidewalk toward her on her walk home from school. Amber was with me, and nearly knocked Erica down, so excited was she to be taking a mid-day walk. It was nice.

Right this second, I am in the middle of the "Will I or Won't I" half-hour, the period between 8:30 and 9:00 when my agency rep could call me with a job assignment. I'm not a huge fan of not knowing whether I'm going to work on a given day, or whether I can make plans to get things done around the house and run errands, but it's better than not having any prospects at all. And it's probably only for this week. I tend to do well in interviews, so the odds are very good that I'll be back on a regular schedule soon.

I can't lie, I'm really looking forward to only having twenty to thirty hours a week. It's been nice having time to exercise without having to rush around to fit it in, it's been nice to fix dinner at a leisurely pace, and the house is cleaner than it's been in the last five years. Which is still not VERY clean, but hey, drops IN the bucket, right? Like anything else, I'm sure part-time stay at homing will start to feel like a grind, and if I add school into the mix, I'll be just as busy, if not busier, than I was with a full-time job, but I'm really enjoying this, right this second, and I refuse to wreck this moment of peace with worrying about what may be.

It's 8:59. I think I'm gonna be staying home today.

No comments:

Post a Comment