Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Funky Bits and Pieces

The first day of my vacation this year was 12/22. The last day is 1/1. I am bored out of my mind, irritable, and generally gloomy. It's not that I want to be at work, because oh hell no, but I want to be somewhere that isn't here. Maybe it's just post-Christmas blues. I feel like I don't have anything to look forward to, now that the long-anticipated time off is here. I guess I can start looking forward to taking time off this summer, but it would be nice if there was something a little sooner.

                                                               *****

I wish I had known before I married him that he considers travel a curse. We were somewhat broke when we first got together, so the idea of travel never really came up--we didn't have the money to go anywhere. Now we could afford a weekend getaway, at least, but he's not interested.  Dammit, I want to watch TV from the bed, shower in a marble lined enclosure, bathe in a Jacuzzi tub and sleep on 800 thread count sheets.  He wants to work on various home improvement things around the house, none of which will actually fix any of the things about the house that I hate, such as the worlds smallest galley kitchen and the single, tiny, bathroom.

                                                                *****

I shouldn't be writing today; I'm not fit company.

                                                                 *****

I'm hoping to see Les Miserables this week. I've seen the stage show three times now, and participated in a couple of college/community theater versions of it. I know every line of female dialogue perfectly, and most of the male. Wake me from a sound sleep and cue me, I'll answer correctly. I've heard mixed reviews, from awesome to awful, so I'm a little worried I'll be disappointed. However, I tend to be easily entertained.  It'll probably thrill me, and launch me on a campaign to see the stage show again.

                                                                   *****

Christmas was nice, of course. It always is. The kids were with us for Christmas Eve. We did presents and pumpkin cheesecake and eggnog, before heading to my sister in law's for dinner. We had a spectacular meal, featuring the opening of yet more presents, and far too much bread pudding and sparkling wine was consumed. I didn't get the kids dropped off at their dad's until nearly midnight. Husband and I went home, put on A Christmas Story and opened our gifts. The highlights for me were two pounds of See's candies and a starship Enterprise pizza cutter. I was also ridiculously pleased by a tiny stuffed Cthulhu. A tiny stuffed winged Cthulhu.

                                                                   *****

I don't really do New Year's Resolutions; it's far too disappointing to fail at clearly stated goals. But I'm going to make an exception this year. I want to walk/run one thousand miles this year. This will exceed the 25 miles I managed last year. I also want to tweet at least once a day, and blog at least once a week. Along those lines, I also mean to comment at least once a week on each blog that I read. I feel a need for more human contact, even if it's mitigated by being electronic contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment